Return HTTP 405 error code when unsupported http method used with MediaWiki action API
The goal of this task is to respond with a 405 status code, when people use unsupported HTTP methods with MediaWiki's ActionAPI.
For example, consider the following command line command under Linux systems:
curl -X DELETE 'https://en.wikipedia.org/w/api.php?action=query&prop=info&titles=Main_Page&format=json'
responds as if the user specified GET instead of DELETE. This is confusing.
To change this:
- (If you haven't already) Download & setup a local copy of MediaWiki ( https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/MediaWiki-Vagrant )
- In mediawiki core, open up
includes/api/ApiMain.php. Locate the
- Near where the check is for POST, add another check. This check should check if the method is one of GET, HEAD, POST or OPTIONS (perhaps using an
if ( !in_array(...check). See also the documentation
- In the event the method is one other than the allowed method, you should call $this->dieWithError(...). The fourth argument should be 405 to return a 405 HTTP status code
- Add the message (starting with
apierror-) you used in the call to
includes/api/i18n/qqq.json(This will contain message documentation telling translators where this message appears). Do not worry about other translations, they are handled by translatewiki)
- Test your change.
- You are expected to provide a patch in Wikimedia Gerrit. See https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Gerrit/Tutorial for how to set up Git and Gerrit.