Set up your MediaWiki development environment and upload a screenshot of a MediaWiki extension
Note that this is already an advanced beginner task (we also offer beginner tasks that are way easier and take less time, but this task is very useful if you plan to continue with coding related tasks.)
- Set up a Vagrant instance (your development environment) - see instructions.
- In your development environment, install a MediaWiki extension of your choice that is also installed on Wikimedia sites and which also does not yet have a screenshot on the extension's home page on https://www.mediawiki.org
- Make a screenshot of the extension (if possible, please only display the content within your browser window, and do not include elements of your browser software itself or even your operating system)
- Upload your screenshot of the extension to Commons (also read about licenses) and add the category
Screenshots of MediaWiki extensions
- Insert the image into the home page of the extension (use the
|image =parameter of the Extension template)
- Tell us in the task the URL (web address) of the extension homepage where we can see your contributed screenshot.
- Enjoy that you have your development environment ready, which will make any following coding tasks way easier for you! :)
If you have problems with installing MediaWiki-Vagrant, the best place to get timely answers is probably in the #wikimedia-dev and #wikimedia-tech IRC channels.